This morning we headed over to Himeji to see Japan's most famous castle, Himeji Castle. Seems that Japan's ancient castles, as impressive as they are, seem to all be 'original, refurbished' castles with some parts being completed this decade. Himjei Castle was still cool though, and easier to climb than Matsumoto. The museum inside it was really interesting.
After that, we got our bento lunches and headed on the train to Tokyo as we planned to go out in Shibuya and sleep in a capsule hotel. We checked in at the capsule hotel which was a lot easier than I thought it would be. The capsules were big enough to sit up in, but you couldn't lie completely straight, which isnt a problem as I tend to bend my legs a little when I sleep anyway. The only bad thing about it was the door was a curtain rather than one that closed. And when all the capsules are men-only close-together and with free porn on the television, this can leave you feeling that you wish you (but mostly the other guests) had more privacy.
The club wasn't too bad. We found it easily enough, it was an international bar with an open-mic night going on. I think calling your bar 'international' is an excuse to call Guiness and Carlsbergs 'imported beers' and charge £5 each for then. But although the drinks were expensive, the musicians were really good ranging from guitar players to jazz through to experimental bongo music. It was really fun.
Sleeping at the capsule hotel wasnt as bad as I thought. I didnt really plan to sleep but it was quite quiet midweek. I couldnt really hear the others so much with my earplugs in. It was quite comfortable too.