Saturday, 25 October 2008

A Day at Ueno Park


We planned to go to the Tokyo National Museum this morning and elsewhere this afternoon. But we got a little distracted by all the entertainment in Ueno Koen on a Saturday. By the time we finished the museum (which was huuuge and had tons of ancient things in) the park had filled up with various art performers. Musicians, acrobats, comedy shows...they all appeared from nowhere. So I grabbed a bento from the nearest convience shop and we watched some. It was a great place to take some low-quality videos with my camera.
In the afternoon we went to Ueno Zoo. Im starting to feel that for a nation that goes crazy over cute animals...they dont half treat them like crap. Ive seen monkeys in small cabinets in shop windows, kittens tied up to benches outside shops to draw people in, overcrowded elephant enclosures and polar bears pacing insanely at the zoo. It had a lot of animals, including ones I havent seen at zoos before. It was just a shame that they couldnt stick to having a couple of them and had to put loads of them in the same enclosures together.
In the evening we wandered around some streets in Ueno to find something to eat but it was mostly fish based so I couldnt stop as Ed wont eat fish so we headed back to Sukiya, a cheap place for rice bowls and curry. But I think I might head out myself one night for some rotating sushi...