Friday, 5 September 2008

To Koyasan!


Today was Koyasan day! Was very excited to be going to a temple village in the middle of some mountains. We even stayed in a temple called Haryoin. On the way there we were told we were in a special train. Whod have thought a "limited express" is faster and more expensive than a regular express? Anyway, the woman was very understanding and even gave us some bus times. The cable car to the mountain was so crowded so I couldnt really see out but I didnt mind so much, would see more when we came back down. We straight away went to drop off our heavy luggage. We found our temple and an important looking monk tumbled out....and then into a taxi. Monks are way too special for busses I guess.
After that we went to explore the temples. They were amazing. It started to rain really heavily but it was amazing watching the rain flow off all of the ornate roofs. In the end, a Japanese woman gave us her spare umbrella so we could move around. The Japanese are amazingly kind. We eventually went back to the temple we were staying at. Dinner was wierd. It was monk food and the atmosphere was very tense, nobody wanted to talk during dinner. I liked my dinner, except for some wied cold sauced mushrooms. A lot of people left them but I thought it was politer to eat the disgusting things. We decided not to have a bath because they seemed to have enough trouble with the cleanliness of the toilet. We tried to go to see the graveyard in the evenings but it was way too dark and the streets were deserted. I found it a little creepy. When we got back, we put on our yukatas and went to sleep. I slept really well.